For more than 25 years, Temple Emunah has been entrusted with a Holocaust Memorial Torah, on permanent loan from the Memorial Scrolls Trust of the Westminster Synagogue, in London, England. Our Torah, number 1449, dates to the mid-nineteenth century and was previously used in a synagogue in Sobeslov, Czechoslovakia . Currently, we use this Torah as a focal point for observing Yom Hashoah, Holocaust Remembrance Day.
During World War II, the Nazis pillaged Torah scrolls and other ceremonial objects and warehoused them in Prague. There the scrolls remained, neglected and decaying, until the early 1960s.
In 1963, the Westminster Synagogue in London took responsibility for 1,564 scrolls. The Torahs were cataloged and repaired. Each Torah received a numbered brass plaque, identifying its origin and history. Over the next decade, through an application process, restored scrolls were sent to synagogues around the world—including Temple Emunah
The Memorial Scrolls Trust provides support and education and support related to the MST Torah scrolls. To learn more about the Memorial Scrolls Trust click here.